Average Academic Profile of Accepted Washington University Students. Oh, I can get into a backup major that is pretty much just like CS!. In general, competitive applicants typically have grades of 3.5 and higher in related math, science, CSE . The four tiers of extracurriculars provide useful insight: While you probably dont need a Tier 1 (national-level) activity for UW, having a few Tier 2 or 3 (regional- and school-level) activities will demonstrate your drive. (Note, the Informatics team does not have access to the original application submitted to the Office of Admissions.). Ranked by Reuters as the #1 Innovative University in the World, #4 in National Public Universities by Times Higher Education, and #10 in Computer Science programs by U.S. News and World Report, UW holds plenty of clout among public universities at home and abroad.. Computer science is of particular significance to . Note that you have two admissions, UW AND CS. This is the #250 largest growth rate of all schools that are only partially online. Academic preparation and performance are of primary . Admitted students will receive an email indicating their admission to the program. The margin for error is about one or two problems on every test, meaning if you fuck up big time on one problem on one exam, especially in CSE 143, its over. It was founded in, The UOttawa Law program is one of the most highly respected in Canada., UOttawa Telfer is located in the heart of Canadas capital. The school confers undergraduate, Schulich School of Music: McGill is a world-renowned institution for music education. Calculate your chances for free right now. Below is a chart that explains the required courses and admissions average requirements for each program in Computer Science: The University of Waterloo is one of the toughest institutions in Canada to get in. Although UW admissions are competitive, your actual chances of getting in are tied to the strength of your profile. Only the best students get accepted, and this is even more the case at the top schools and programs. In-state applicants are admitted at a higher rate than those from out-of-state (60% vs. 51%). After applicants are selected for general admission to the UW, the Informatics admission team receives a list of students who requested Informatics as their first-choice major. This post is meant for everyone who applied to CS and was admitted to UW as a pre-sciences student, or applied to Computer Engineering and was admitted as a Direct to College (DTC) of Engineering student. If youve got any questions feel free to DM me or comment down below, Id be more than happy to answer. Q: How does the selection process for direct admission work? How hard is it to get into a PhD program? Since it's UW admission season, and many soon-to-be college freshmen are looking to study Computer Science (CS), I'd like to give some of my thoughts about why anybody who isn't a direct admit (DA) and is looking to study . Out-of-staters are in the minority, however, students from all 50 states study at UW, and international students make up 12% of the student population. The best high school preparation for pursuing Informatics is to take advanced high school classes (Honors, AP, IB, etc.) For serious consideration at UW, youll need to earn all, or mostly all, As in the most challenging coursework available to you. To improve your SAT/ACT score, check out these free CollegeVine resources: The University of Washington has just one admissions processit doesnt offer Early Decision or Early Action admissions. If your Academic Index doesnt meet a schools standards, you risk being viewed as academically unqualified and your application will not receive a thorough review. Below is a chart that explains the required courses and admissions average . There are only less than TWO WEEKS to fill out CSC's 2023 Class Profile! It's not too competitive. I will try to highlight where they differ. The regular admissions application deadline for University of Washington is November 15. The Allen School offers hybrid information sessions for prospective high school students on the first Friday of every month from 3:30PM - 4:30PM PT. extracurricular activities are those most commonly seen by admissions officials and hold the least sway on your odds of acceptance. They provide, Situated atop Burnaby Mountain in British Columbia, Simon Fraser University is a leading, McGill University is a world-renowned institution of higher learning located in Montreal, Quebec., There are many steps to take when preparing for a new career. If you get into DTC and youre going for Computer Engineering, get ready to select Electrical Engineering as your backup major. How to Improve Your Chances of Getting into the University of Washington. Are, York University is widely regarded as one of the best schools in the, York University is a public research university in Toronto, Canada. Were taking off with the, Hi there My name is Madison Guy and I'm the COO and, At GrantMe, we believe that acting with integrity and doing what we say, At GrantMe Education, we believe in constant improvement and strive to embody this. Students applying to top-tier schools like UW have commonly completed between five and 12 AP classes. Academic Index is the distillation of your entire academic performance into a single numerical score. Keep reading to learn more about, The University of British Columbia (UBC) Library is one of the largest academic, Western University is a highly selective institution, admitting some of the top students, Vancouver Island University (VIU) is a public post-secondary institution located in Nanaimo, British, UofT is one of the largest and most prestigious universities in the world., McGill University is a public research university in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Selective schools that receive large numbers of applications, like UW, use a tool known as the. UBC Admissions, The University of Toronto (UofT) is one of the world's leading research-intensive universities, Waterloo University is one of the most popular universities in the world. Concordia was, Concordia University is a dynamic, urban university located in the heart of Montreal,, Memorial University (Memorial) is a world-renowned institution of higher learning located in the, St. Francis Xavier University is a small,coeducational, primarily undergraduate university located in Nova, Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) is one of the largest universities in Atlantic, McMaster University's Civil Engineering program is one of the top programs in the, The Western Ivey dual degree is a unique opportunity for students to earn, Rotman Commerce is the business school at the University of Toronto. Are you a Computer Science major at UW? There is no minimum GPA to apply, and there is no automatic admission or denial based on GPA. With world-renowned, The University of Toronto (UofT) is a world-renowned institution of higher learning, and, Meet Matthew, a Grade 12 student from Panorama Ridge Secondary School located in, The UofA Computer Engineering program is one of Canada's most comprehensive and well-rounded., Waterloo University is a great choice for prospective students. Whether you're on a co-op or academic term, we know you've worked hard to get . It is, Waterloo Software Engineering is a top-ranked program that provides students with an excellent, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The Smith School of Business at, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Nursing is a rewarding and arduous, Written By Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The UBC School of Nursing has, Written By Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran On the front lines of healthcare,, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Through academic excellence, strengths-based nursing, and, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran At the University of Saskatchewan, Health, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Data and computation are present in, Written By Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran Ranked among the top 12 universities, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran The School of Rehabilitation Science at, Written by Stephanie Pugh and Matthew Tran You can join a unique and, How much does GrantMe cost? If your GPA is low, and youre a freshman or sophomore, you have time to raise itcheck out our tips for increasing your GPA. These activities include winning state-level recognition in athletics or music and serving in a leadership position like student body president. . Our blog, Do you know what its like to be a Western University student? overall acceptance rate. After all, youll be spending most of your time studying that major and not CSE courses. Therefore, the average GPA you should aim for to get accepted into Waterloo Computer Science is 95+%. . If youre a junior or senior, its harder to increase your GPA, and the best method to improve your Academic Index is with a higher test score. The leading education planning platform for a future full of options. The Unofficial Subreddit for the University of Washington-Bothell Campus. This refers to all students at UW Bothell regardless of major. How to Apply. It just so happens that the entire school has now shut down due to coronavirus and the CSE 143 final is cancelled, so hes fucked. If you want to get into CS, you need to get a near perfect score on every single exam. Personally I'm not 100% sure if it's worth turning down WSU with a scholarship for UWB. Heres some attitudes I had as a CS-hopeful freshman that got BTFOd after being in UW for a year and a half (Im a sophomore now). [2022 Guide], Why Chemical Engineering? How to Get a Perfect 1600 Score on the SAT. One look at these DTC admission statistics. Freshmen can apply for direct admission to the program, as did Baker and Huynh. Among enrolled 2019-20 first-year students, an impressive 57% hailed from the top 10%, while 90% earned a place in the top 25%. Most students in our program are transferring from WA CTC and have a GPA of a 3.75 or better. So if the Computer Science program admissions were competitive before for current UW students, its hell now. Please go to the CS majors page - BCS vs BMath CS page, which includes a video and chart outlining the difference between the two programs. Our free admissions calculator uses a variety of factorssuch as your grades, test scores, and extracurricularsto estimate your likelihood of admission and to provide tips to improve your profile. In 2014, the University of Washington Bothell's computer science department was ranked #490 on the College Factual Best Schools for CompSci list. In an effort to accommodate the large demand for CS and to avoid having students go to UW for a few years only to not get into CS, the Paul Allen school moved to a mainly DA system in 2019. The University of Washington received 43,778 applications for its Seattle campus and accepted just 24,467 students, resulting in a 56% overall acceptance rate. According to their 2020-2021 Common Data Set, the University of Washington considers the following factors very important: Our free chancing engine takes into account your history, background, test scores, and extracurricular activities to show you your real chances of admissionand how to improve them. If you're a junior or senior, your GPA is hard to change from this point on. I fucked up on a recursion problem and a stacks and queues problem on my CSE 143 midterm and it was enough to bury my CSE admission chances into the ground. Q: Im a Running Start student and am interested in pursuing Informatics, is there a specific associates degree I should be working towards? Each school's score reflects its average rating on a scale from 1 (marginal) to 5 (outstanding), based on a survey of academics at peer institutions . I highly highly highly recommend coming here to study because UW CS is pretty much cream of the crop, and youll have a great time here. That said, UW may consider high test scores (1400 SAT/31 ACT or above) for students who may not otherwise be admitted. Is it hard to get into UW computer science? My GPA is 3.39, which is not the worst but about 5 points too low for UW CS (my sophomore year sucked but my GPA has improved each semester). Admission criteria, filling out your application, personal statements, timing of UW applications. Study your interests. It's highly competitive: only 7% of direct admission students were offered a spot in the Allen School, compared to 52% of applicants to the UW's College of Engineering, which houses . uses a variety of factorssuch as your grades, test scores, and extracurricularsto estimate your likelihood of admission and to provide tips to improve your profile. 1) CS 487- Introduction to Symbolic Computation. Thankfully, I was admitted to a major (see flair) I am interested in studying, but I know many people who are in a much worse place than I am. in English, math and science. In conclusion, it is not worth the time and effort to pour 2 years of your life into polishing every single line of code to perfection and fretting about every single lost point on every assignment/test at the cost of all other parts of your life just to be handed rejection after rejection from the CSE department. Out-of-staters are in the minority, however, students from all 50 states study at UW, and international students make up 12% of the student population. With a, Dalhousie Business is an internationally recognized business school located in Halifax, Nova Scotia., McGill Architecture is an institution located in Montreal, Canada. Calculate your chances at your dream schools and learn what areas you need to improve right now it only takes 3 minutes and it's 100% free. A 3.6/4.0 GPA or higher: Most successful applicants to UW have a GPA of at least 3.6, or between a B+ and an A- average. If you plan to pursue a backup major, make sure youre actually interested in the backup major. Waterloo Application Guide Parent Edition, McMaster Application Guide Parent Edition, Queens Application Guide Parent Edition, Western University Student Life Ultimate Guide, How University Students Can Avoid Plagiarism, Queens Commitment Scholars Award: Overview, Queens Gregory Scholarship in Engineering: Overview, Queens Chancellors Scholarship: Overview, Queens D&R Sobey Atlantic Admission Award:, Queens Melvin R. Goodes Entrance Award:, Maximizing Your York University Admissions Chances, Getting Around Queens University: Overview, Maximizing Your University of Victoria Admissions, Maximizing Your McMaster Admissions Chances, Capilano University Kinesiology: Overview, Maximizing Your Western Admission Chances, Maximizing Your Waterloo Admissions Chances, Maximizing Your Queens Admission Chances, Best Computer Science Universities in Canada, University of Northern British Columbia: Overview, University of Guelph Software Engineering: Overview, University of Calgary Architecture: Overview, McGill Schulich School of Music: Overview, University of Calgary Software Engineering: Overview, Royal Military College of Canada: Overview, Concordias Software Engineering Course Sequence, Toronto Metropolitan Engineering: Overview, University of Saskatchewan Engineering: Overview, University of Windsor Engineering: Overview, University of Guelph Engineering: Overview, Concordia University: Concordias Ranking, University of Saskatchewan Health Sciences: Overview, University of Saskatchewan Physical Therapy: Overview, University of Victoria Computer Sciences: Overview, University of Calgary Continuing Education: Overview, Toronto Metropolitan University Business Management: Overview, University of Calgary Engineering: Overview, University of Calgary Engineering Requirements, Toronto Metropolitan Universitys Faculty of Arts:, Toronto Metropolitan University Aerospace Engineering, University of Alberta Education: Overview, University of Saskatchewan Kinesiology: Overview, Laval Food Science and Technology: Overview, University of Alberta Computing Science: Overview, Waterloo Engineering Supplementary Application Examples, Rotman Commerce Supplementary Application Essay Examples, Western Ivey HBA AEO Supplementary Application, Queens Health Sciences Supplementary Application, Queens Commerce Supplementary Application, UBC Sauder Personal Profile/Video Interview, McMaster Health Sciences Supplementary Application, UOttawa Integrated Food Sciences: Overview, Toronto Metropolitan University Biomedical Sciences: Overview, Laval University Quantitative Finance: Overview, UVIC Health Information Science: Overview. Check out these other informative articles: Want to know your chances at UW? If you're taking the SAT, aim for 1400-1500 . 1. The. Apply Early Action. What is a Marketing Major and is it Right for Me? The Allen School. UW is known for its cutting-edge research and innovationbubble gum, vinyl, synthetic rubber, and the process that brought about color television were all invented on campus (as was the wave, in which people in a stadium rise and cheer in a pattern that resembles a wave).